In this episode, Amelia shows us how to make her FAVORITE family dish. Oven Baked Salmon! She adds one of her expert sides — mashed potatoes — and then some roasted veggies (because Mom!). She also shares some tips for getting the skin off the fish, and her opinion on what type of salmon is most tasty from a 9-year-old perspective.
Oven-Baked Salmon -- Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Green Beans with Broccoli on the side
- 2 lbs fresh salmon (we like Scottish salmon)
- 3 tablespoons of butter melted (for salmon)
- sliced lemon
- salt and pepper
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons of butter (for mashed potatoes)
- fresh green beans
- fresh broccoli (cut into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Directions for the Salmon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut salmon into about 5-oz pieces.
- Brush liberally with melted butter.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with lemon slices.
- Bake on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Don’t grease the foil, it will cause the skin to stick, making the salmon easy to remove from the skin.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until just flaky.
- Squeeze lemon on baked fish and serve hot.
Directions for the Mashed Potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and cut into smallish pieces.
- Cook in boiling water until tender (about 9 minutes after the potatoes reach a boil).
- Drain potatoes when tender. Add milk and butter, then mash in a mixer or with a hand masher.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
Directions for Roasted Veggies
- Spread broccoli and green beans on a sheet pan.
- Toss with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast for about 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven — stirring once half way through.
Plate Your Dish!
- Place the mashed potatoes on the plate, flatten it out a bit.
- Put the salmon on top of the potatoes and top with a slice of lemon.
- Scoop some roasted veggies around your masterpiece.
**REMEMBER TO ALWAYS ASK AN ADULT FOR SUPERVISION OR HELP WITH A HOT STOVE, OVEN OR SHARP KITCHEN UTENSILS!